Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Spike Heels Come in Handy When it is Necessary to Break Glass

I've mentioned that I'm reading the Harry Potter series.  Make that re-reading.  It's been years since I first read them, and I've forgotten how lovely the writing is - obviously, J.K. Rowling is very talented, as is evidenced by the stellar success of the series (I think referring to writing as "lovely" is one of the highest compliments you can give ... you know what I mean?  Sometimes writing is just ... it's lovely, there's no better word for it).  Alan and I also watched Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 on Sunday night.  We both thought it was really good, and it even gave me a nightmare (not that I think giving someone a nightmare is a sign of a good movie ... but I guess it does prove that it stuck with me).  I think Part 2 comes out in July, so hopefully we'll be able to go see it in the theatre.  The theatre in Russellville, the Picwood, amazes me.  Seriously, I've never seen such a popular place in a small town, and I grew up in a small town.  You can't stir the people with a stick at the Picwood on Friday and Saturday night.  I remember when Alan and I first moved to Russellville, and we didn't really know anybody, we decided to go to the movies one night, and we arrived to see a line of people camped out outside the theatre for the next Harry Potter movie that was opening (I don't remember which one).  People were dressed up, they were really into it!  At the time, Alan and I were still missing NWA and we were still in the cynical yuppie mode that is au courant up there, so we laughed at these people, but in retrospect it really warms my heart and makes me smile (in a non-cynical way):  it's nice to see people enjoying something in such a pure way.  I love going to the movies, but we rarely go.  We prefer to Netflix it unless it's something we really want to see ... the last movie I watched in the theatre was True Grit (very good, love me some Jeff Bridges:  "The Dude!").

All of this about Harry Potter to say that I thought I'd quote some of my favorite portions of the books as I go along.  I read them aloud to Jones sometimes when he's not feeling the play mat or the swing, and is tired of tummy time and tired of me just hanging out with him (yesterday we danced to my iTunes library ... he loved it!  I'm going to have to try and get some video of his dance moves (I make him dance sometimes ... hey, he smiles a lot so I think he enjoys it as much as me)).  He just looks up at me, very intently.  I think he likes the sound of my voice, and I think he just likes looking at my face.  Anyway, on to the quotations ...

From Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (the first book):

"'I don't need a cloak to become invisible,' said Dumbledore gently.  'Now, can you think of what the Mirror of Erised shows us all?' 
Harry shook his head.
'Let me explain.  The happiest man on earth would be able to use the Mirror of Erised like a normal mirror, that is, he would look into it and see himself exactly as he is.  Does that help?' 
Harry thought.  Then he said slowly, 'It shows us what we want ... whatever we want ...' 
'Yes and no,' said Dumbledore quietly.  'It shows us nothign more or less than the deepest, most desperate desire of our hearts.  You, who have never known your family, see them standing around you ... However, this mirror will give us neither knowledge or truth.  Men have wasted away before it, entranced by what they have seen, or been driven mad, not knowing if what is hows is real or even possible ... It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live, remember that.'"

"'But why couldn't Quirrell touch me?'
'Your mother died to save you.  If there is one thing Voldemort cannot understand, it is love.  He didn't realize that love as powerful as your mother's for you leaves its own mark.  Not a scar, no visible sign ... to have been loved so deeply, even though the person who loved us is gone, will give us some protection forever.  It is in your very skin.  Quirrell, full of hatred, greed, and ambition, sharing his soul with Voldemort, could not touch you for this reason.  It was agony to touch a person marked by something so good.'"

See?  Lovely, right?

And now, a picture of my little wizard (I say that because Alan calls this sleeping gown Jones' wizard outfit):


Monday was Jones' two month check-up.  He is doing well, gaining weight like a champ.  Dr. Harrison said if you adjust his age for prematurity, he's right where he should be, and he's pleased with all of the progress.  The two month check-up also meant, (duh-duhn-duhn) SHOTS!  Broke my heart a little, he let out such a pitiful wail when they stuck him.  But he did really well, truly.  He wailed a bit, but as soon as the nurse let me pick him up and I snugged him up against me, he calmed down right away.  Actually fell asleep in the waiting room while we waited to make sure there was no reaction.  He slept pretty hard the rest of the day, but he doesn't seem to be holding a grudge:



Check out those cute bandaids - they have the Tasmanian Devil on them!  I mean, I hate that he had to go through getting his shots, but I have to admit I think this picture of Jones and his boo boo are pretty cute (easier for me to say since he took it so well ... probably wouldn't be so blase if he had had a reaction to the shots or gotten really ill afterward). 

How about an update on Jones, like I used to do for my pregnancy?

Jones at 10 Weeks

Jones weighs 10 pounds and 1 ounce and is 21 1/2 inches long.  His head is 38 1/2 inches around.  I don't know what percentile he's in because Dr. Harrison didn't say ... I think because we're not focusing on that right now because it's not really accurate due to his prematurity.  He is drinking 5 ounces every 3 to 4 hours.  He has long periods of wakefulness between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. and again from about 5:00 to 9:00.  His favorite toy is the activity mat, and he likes, but doesn't love, his gumdrop pacifier.  Right now his favorite playmate is Mommy and his favorite game to play with her is to be wiggled around on her legs ("dancing").  He has just switched from newborn clothes to 0 - 3 months and I am really excited about that because he has some really cute outfits for 0 - 3 months, and I can start putting little shoes on him (so get excited about the pictures to come!).

So, this obviously isn't a Wordless Wednesday post (perhaps I should do a Wordy Wednesday post, seeing as I am, obviously, a fairly wordy person), but here are some pics that are un-related to this post that I thought you would enjoy:

My Favorite Boys:  Daddy, Augie, and Jones 

Daddy and the Wiz (remember that great 80s movie, The Wiz?  Anybody, anybody?  Bueller, Bueller?)

Snoozin' like a big boy in mom and dad's bed ...

1 comment:

  1. Love the pics of Jones and Alan snoozing! So sweet to see boys with their daddys :)

    ReplyDelete