Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Bend it Like Joneser, or, Saturdays at the Soccer Field

In our continuing effort to give Jones the chance to try all kinds of sports, and generally be involved and learn lessons about fair play, sportsmanship, team work, winning and losing, and all of the other lessons that come about naturally through athletics, we signed Jones up for soccer.  Now, much like tee ball, four-year-old and five-year-old soccer playing is like herding cats.  It's not for the faint of heart.  But, as always, we have been so, so lucky with the people who ended up coaching soccer - we have always been blessed with people that are kind and patient, and are the same page with us in terms of the point of athletics at this age (which is to say:  it's not about skill levels, or winning and losing, but about playing and everything that comes with that).

I will confess, I prefer soccer to tee ball (more on tee ball later).  It goes by faster, and is more action-packed.  Jones, if you asked him, has no preference, although all of the running in soccer is certainly something he enjoys (I'm wondering if track and field is going to be Joneser's thing).  At any rate, it's fun to watch, and Jones has fun playing it, and you can't ask for much more than that from any sport.

In 2014, he was on the Dinosaurs (the boys got to pick their team name ... Joneser led the charge on that one, ha!)!








Jones and his bestie, Jett, played against eachother one game.

And this, y'all ... I can't even.  Melt my heart, am I right?!  They were both super excited to be playing eachother, it didn't matter that they were on opposite teams!






In 2015, Jones was on the red team (no name this year)!  Again, a great experience:  fun, fresh air, activity, all good things.  This year, it really clicked more for Jones.  I mean, we've still got a ways to go, but he was more purposeful this year, more cognizant of the goal (that is, to score goals), and had several goals on his own, and a few assists.  I was proud of the progress he made!





I don't know if I qualify as a soccer mom, but I am a mom that loves watching this boy play soccer!

No comments:

Post a Comment