Monday, December 20, 2010

The Hap-Hap-Happiest Christmas Since Bing Crosby tap danced with Danny (expletive) Kay!

Christmas is upon us!  I love the anticipation of Christmas, the fun of the time leading up to it (right before you head into January and February, where it's kind of a let down).  We spent the weekend watching lots of Christmas movies:  Home Alone, Home Alone 2, National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (that's where the title of this post came from ... we've been saying Clark's little breakdown speech all weekend to eachother - we find it hilarious ... also, discovered that Alan needs to watch White Christmas so he can understand the reference) ... we always watch It's a Wonderful Life on Christmas Eve (that's Alan's and my tradition we started when we got married).  I'm looking forward to a particularly restful Christmas this year - for whatever reason, Alan and I have managed not to stress out about Christmas this year - not the gifts, not the getting to relatives' houses, none of it.  Probably because every Christmas after this one will be different!  We've made homemade gifts this year, but I'm not posting til after Christmas on the off chance that someone who is receiving said gift looks on this blog and sees it.  Speaking of gifts, we received our first gift for Baby Ward recently from our good friend Julie Whitt.  She knows we are die-hard Razorback fans so of course her gift was appropriate:
So Cute!  Thanks Julie!
 The funniest part was that she gave it to us and said, "You know, I bought this way back in early November.  It never occurred to me that y'all would have anything but a little boy!"  Julie is due a couple of weeks after me with their first child, and she finds out tomorrow what they're having - so exciting (for the record:  I think it's a girl)!

We also got to hang out with some of our close NWA friends this weekend.  My friend Sheryl's little boy, Andrew Wesley, turned one on Saturday and they had his birthday party in Little Rock.  It was so much fun, and gave us a little snapshot of what we have to look forward to (fun times ... I think it'll be really great when we can all get our kids together periodically, and I'm sure it'll be a hoot when all of our children are up at the U of A being fraternity brothers and roommates and all of that).

Happy Birthday, Wesley-Man!  (You look just like your Daddy!)

The first present of the first birthday!
And, speaking of looking forward, I know you're all dying for an update, right?!

Pregnancy Update
 
How far along? 21 weeks, 1 day

Total weight gain:  Unknown ... at our last doctor's appointment on December 6, Alan said he saw how much I weighed (I think he was a tad concerned :o)).  I told him I didn't want to know and, as has been my argument/justification all along, that if there was a problem (too much or too little), I'm sure the doctor would let me know (and he hasn't, so, you know:  ignorance is bliss :o)).   
 
Maternity clothes? No ... just the Bella Band with pants, and since I wear a lot of dresses, I'm not even wearing that a whole lot.  I'm getting ready for it though ... I was hoping to make it to the third trimester before officially going to maternity clothes, but I think I'm going to have to cave at some point in the next few weeks and get some maternity jeans.

Sleep: Been waking up more in the middle of the night and having a hard time getting back to sleep.  Also, apparently, I've become quite the snorer (according to Alan).
 
Best moment this week: Movement is getting stronger!
 
Movement: Yes!  Finally!  Been feeling it for about a week to ten days now ... feels like a nudge from the inside, almost like how your stomach drops on a roller coaster (sort of ... I don't know ... maybe I should just stick to the "nudge" description).
 
Gender:  It's a boy!  Let the name games begin ...

Labor Signs: None, thankfully.

Belly Button in or out? In.  I guess I never really thought about this particular aspect of pregnancy, but I was browsing on GAPMaternity the other day and saw a picture of a woman where the belly button had popped out and I have to admit I was startled ... definitely not looking forward to that.

Cravings: No cravings yet (again, I define "craving" as a desire for something that cannot be squelched or contained, and would have me or Alan running to the store or wherever to get it because I won't be satisfied otherwise, and that hasn't happened yet), but I am wanting more caffeine than normal (a delicious real Coke or Dr. Pepper), and I am really thirsty a lot.
 
Symptoms:  Itchy feet!  Soooo random, I know, but I'm talking about, I was itching and scratching all the time (but just my feet) - it was bad!  I asked the doctor about it and he was not impressed :o).  He told me to make sure they were moisturized and recommended Eucerin.  Turns out he was right - Eucerin works!  Also, I've always had a tendency for my hands and fingers to swell (if I get hot, or if I work out, and they have always swelled at night) and it's worse now - I've already taken my wedding ring off (because I got scared the other day at court when I was sitting around waiting for the judge to get to the hearing I was there on and I tried to take it off and couldn't get it off) and put it on a chain which I'm wearing around my neck.  Alan said we'd have to get a cheap-o band from somewhere for me to wear the rest of the time - we don't want anyone thinking I'm an unwed mother (ha!)!
 
What I miss: I would like to be able to have a delicious cocktail at all of the holiday parties and gatherings we're going to nowadays, and I'm bummed about not being able to partake in our traditional brandy and eggnog on Christmas Eve.  And Alan had a Sam Adams chocolate bock beer the other night and I was really jealous.

Weekly Wisdom:  It's different when it's your's. 
 
Milestones: Gender and movement - AWESOME!
 

1 comment:

  1. Love the update :) You look great! I can't imagine that you've gained much weight at all - besides, you are growing a person in there!

    ReplyDelete