Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Strange Mechanical Noises Can Only Mean One Thing: A Printing Press is Being Used for Nefarious Purposes

What to Expect When You're Expecting claims that in this month of my pregnancy (I'm 26 weeks, right at the end of 6 months, about to enter the last trimester), I can expect to have a hearty appetite.  I don't know if that's entirely accurate, or if I'm just very careful about what I eat, as I don't want to blow up into a big ol' blimp (not just for vanity reasons, either ... gaining to much weight can lead to lots of serious problems like preeclampsia and you can have a tougher time during delivery, both of which are things I want to avoid).  I just haven't been overly hungry yet.  I haven't really had what I would define as a craving yet, either, but there are some things that I will randomly think, "You know what would be good right now?  That.  That would be awesome."  If it's in my house, I will probably go and eat it ... so far, if it hasn't been easily accessible, I just let the idea pass me by (which, by my definition, means it's not a craving ... or maybe I just have super self-control - ha!).  To that end, though, here are some of the things I've had a yearning for lately:


I'm glad the Easter will be coming sooner rather than later, because that's the only time they stock mini eggs, which are my all time favorite candy.  I love them.  Easter Sunday is exactly one week before my due date, so by then I probably won't care how much I'm eating, just that I'm eating whatever I want, and I have no doubt that these will be purchased in large quantities at the Ward household.


I love Granny Smith apples all of the time, but I'm really eating a lot of them now, trying to get the recommended daily allowance of fruit.  Wintertime is not the best for fresh fruit, but apples are delicious year round.  I like them cold (Alan doesn't like apples fresh from the refrigerator ... I think that's weird :o)) and occasionally, if I'm feeling particularly sassy, I have a little peanut butter to go along with it.


Iced tea.  I've decided that Mondays are to be Caffeine Mondays.  You're supposed to cut down on the amount of caffeine you consume during pregnancy and, honestly, I didn't drink a whole lot of caffeine prior to being pregnant, but Baby Ward apparently loves him a good jolt of caffeination.  So, in order to satisfy him, I've declared that on Monday I can have two caffeinated beverages.  Yesterday it was tea - I had it at lunch and dinner and it made me happy (and alert ... very, very alert).
White chocolate covered oreos - by far the worst thing, health-wise that I've wanted so far.  They are pricey, too (it's like $5.00 for a box of 12), so my innate cheapness has kept me from just having a ton of them around the house, which has probably been for the best from a health perspective.  On Saturday night, Alan went out to get milk and came back with a box of regular Oreos and some white chocolate chips, and we attempted to make our own.  They don't look as good as the ones in the picture, or the ones that you buy at the store, but they tasted good.  I may try to get a recipe for the white chocolate dip (ours was pretty runny, and I don't think that's right) and try it again.  Alan and I did have a pretty big laugh over making our own chocolate covered Oreos - it just seems so ... decadent, and incredibly unhealth - isn't that the definition of unhealthy, obese American?  


Chocolate pop-tarts - I actually don't eat them for breakfast, they're more of a dessert and sometimes a snack, depending on what I've eaten already that day.  Alan had never experienced a Pop-Tart as a snack or dessert (I guess he only ever ate them as a breakfast food) and was impressed by how good they are in that capacity (we were both just impressed by how much we liked them, period ... apparently we had forgotten how good they are since we haven't eaten them since childhood).

I look at this little synposis of foods I like during pregnancy and I'm really sort of surprised that most of it is comprised of sweet things - I would've told you that I craved savory or salty things above all others, but I guess that's not really accurate, now that I really think about it, or at least it's not accurate as far as this pregnancy is concerned.  Too bad I'm not craving broccoli florets and carrot sticks, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment