Friday, November 12, 2010

Captain's Log, Supplemental


So, my husband and I are Star Trek fans.  Trekkers.  You know it.  Actually, that's not entirely true.  Alan is a Star Trek fan, and I've been sucked into it by virtue of being married to him (also, when Alan and I first started dating, I once made him a "Top 10" list about why he was such a great guy, and I referenced Star Trek in it, although, being as I didn't know anything about it back then, I called it "Space Trek" instead ... I hope he kept that and we can find it one day and laugh).  At first I would, admittedly, roll my eyes and make snide comments about it, but once I'd watched enough to be able to follow the characters and know who they are and what's going on, I came to truly enjoy it.  So now we DVR it and we watch it all the time (I'll clarify:  we watch Star Trek:  The Next Generation all the time, not Star Trek the original flavor with Kirk and Spock).  I will admit that as much as I love The Next Generation, I have a fondness for the original flavor:  Shatner, for goodness' sake, was Kirk.  That's two helpings of awesome topped with awesome sauce (I will watch almost anything Shatner is in, and I lllooovvveeed Boston Legal:  Denny Crane!).  Spock and McCoy also, awesome.  There is such absurdity to Trek, but it's so loveable too.  Obviously, if I'm choosing a favorite in the OG Star Trek, it's Captain Kirk, and I do love it when he gets into a good old-fashioned fist fight with an alien.  Classic television.


My favorite of the TNG characters is Commander William Riker (upper right, red shirt, beard), and he is also Alan's favorite (I couldn't find it to post it, but Alan has a shirt with Riker on it that says "You're Number One" that he wore to watch Star Trek 2009 at the movie theatre.  It garnered lots of compliments.).  So much so, in fact, that I will disclose that Alan is lobbying hard for the name "Riker" if we have a boy.  I am, of course, somewhat leery of naming a child after a Star Trek character.  But it is on the short list (it is really the only name that's kind of "out there" and it looks funny surrounded by all of our other very conservative, traditional choices).  I also love a good Data episode (particularly one that plays out in the holo-deck, where everybody is dressed up as a different character).  My least favorite character is Dr. Beverly Crusher.  She annoys the #&%$ out of me, and I don't really even know that I can articulate why ... also she's Wesley Crusher's mother, and he is irritating as well ... and he wears a onesie throughout much of the show, so, you know ... he's got that going for him.


Llllooovvvveeeddddd the 2009 reboot of the Star Trek series.  Seriously, this movie is in my top 10, probably in my top 5 of favorite movies.  In fact, I might watch it this weekend if I have time (we do have Iron Man 2 waiting to be watched via Netflix, but we haven't been able to set aside time to watch it ... which, speaking of Iron Man 2, I lllloooovvvvveeee Robert Downey, Jr.  Love him.  Will see anything he's in.  Will read any article written about him.  Lllllllooooovvvvveeeeee).  Anyway, Star Trek 2009:  Awesome.  I love the cast, all of them, and would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite from this crew. 



I'll sign off with one of my favorite "inspirational" posters ever (seriously, there are t-shirts with this picture and caption on it, and I have seriously considered buying one because it strikes me as so hilarious).


Admit it:  that's funny and you're laughing.

No comments:

Post a Comment