Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Thank Goodness I'm 29 and Pregnant

I tried to finish the last book in The Hunger Games trilogy, really I did, but I still have a little bit to go since I had to take a time out for my favorite guilty pleasure:  16 & Pregnant. 
People that are close to me know that I am mildly obsessed with this show, and I can't even really articulate why.  It's just so ... I don't know!  There's just something compelling to me about watching these girls and the poor decisions they've made and are making.  That probably says something bad about me and my tendency to be judgmental (at least where these strangers are concerned), but I will say that I usually end up wanting to root for them and for something to go well in their life (and in their baby's life).  Last night was Felicia from Texas.  I really felt for this poor kid, especially at roughly the mid-way point when it becomes clear that her boyfriend/baby-daddy was not going to take responsibility for anything, and then even more so later when that became even more abundantly apparent (ex:  she asked him to take care of/watch the baby while she studied, which he did briefly, and then complained that she needed to hurry up, he had stuff to do, followed by him telling her to quit moving around so much in the middle of the night when she got up to take care of the baby).  I wish that they would give more information about the dads in most of these - how old are they, education level, what are their family situations like, etc.  Very lawyerly of me, right?  Wanting to have the information on both sides before I commence arguing for one or the other ... also, I was not a fan of the name they chose for the baby AT ALL:  Genesis.  They didn't give any reasons for why they chose the name either ... I thought it was weird and they can look forward to that baby growing up and changing her name to Genna at the first opportunity.  Alan and I have a short list of names we both like for our little bundle of joy.  We have tabled the name discussion until after December 6th, when we find out the gender.  I will say that all of our names are pretty old-fashioned/traditional/old school ... no Genesis or Nevaeh for the Wards (both names seen on 16 & Pregnant, FYI).

Anyway, so I stayed up late watching that (late for me = 10:00) and then I just could not handle finishing my book.  I will also probably go to bed pretty early tonight since I didn't sleep well last night.  I never sleep well when Alan is out of town - I get creeped out easily and I have to leave the TV on, which doesn't really help with sleeping, and the two spoiled labradors are always restless when their routine is disturbed (like when one of us goes out of town), and they got me up in the middle of the night to go outside.  So, to sum up, slept pretty fitfully and am feeling pretty tired today, despite the deployment of a favorite yellow sweaterdress, tights, and sassy boots.  Alan will be back tonight, so hopefully we can do an early supper and early bedtime so I can feel better tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment