Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Great Shoes Can Change Your Life ... Just Ask Cinderella

So, stayed up late reading the second novel in The Hunger Games Trilogy last night, Catching FireThe Hunger Games trilogy takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of North America, in a nation known as "Panem." Panem used to consist of a rich Capitol, located somewhere in the Rocky Mountains, and thirteen surrounding, poorer districts which cater to the Capitol's needs. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol wherein the thirteenth district was supposedly destroyed, every year one boy and one girl from each of the remaining twelve districts, between the ages of twelve and eighteen, are selected by lottery and forced to participate in the "Hunger Games." The Games are a televised event where the participants, called "tributes," must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains.  The books follow Katniss Everdeen, the tribute from District 12, as she participates in the Hunger Games and navigates the changing world of Panem, particularly the rebellion of the Districts.  As you can probably guess from the description of the books, it's pretty dark (and it's a young adult novel, believe it or not ... I've quit holding the "young adult" designation against books - I read all of the Harry Potter books and the Twilight books so I figure I shouldn't start judging a book by its cover at this point ... also, I read Danielle Steele and Nora Roberts, so obviously my taste is wide and varied (you:  and suspect)).  Anyway, started reading it last night about 9:00 and then, when I realized it was 11:30 and I only had about 100 pages left, I said, "What the heck" and finished it out.  I'm going to read the final novel tonight, since I'm bacheloretting it up (Alan is in Hot Springs for a banking seminar).  The writing is good, better than Twilight, but the subject matter is such a bummer, while you're reading you're just hoping something goods happen to someone eventually.  I read somewhere that they're going to make it into movies, so that might be interesting (sidenote:  super-pumped about Harry Potter opening at the end of the month).  I'm really just kind of passing the time until I get the next Lisbeth Salander novel ... I'm on the waiting list at the library (this should come as no surprise:  I love the library).

Since I stayed up late and was feeling pretty draggy on this particularly cloudy and dreary morning, I thought I'd try and boost my spirits and energy levels by wearing one of my favorite accessories:  patterned tights!  I love them - check it out:

I feel sassy (although I apparently need to put that sassiness to work and polish my shoes ... hmmmmmm).  I usually stick to patterns in muted tones (read:  gray, black, brown, navy) so it's not too outrageous ... I am an attorney, after all (pffffftttt).  I love dresses, and would say I wear a dress to work about 4 out of 5 days of the week, so tights are a good way for me to keep that up during the winter ... and I've been told that dresses are the way to go during pregnancy, so I've got that going for me too.  Speaking of pregnancy, thought I'd do those "pregnancy updates" I see on other people's blogs - I think they're fun/interesting, so why not give it a shot, right?!

How far along? 14 weeks, 2 days

Total weight gain:  Honestly couldn't tell you; I never look at the scale at any doctor's visit, so I have no idea what I was at the beginning or what I am now.  I plan to only worry about it if the doctor tells me I need to.

Maternity clothes? No ... but I do wear Bella Bands with jeans, per a recommendation from my friend Jessi ... I could get the jeans buttoned, but they were really tight, and really tight right across the place where the baby is, so I figured that was probably not good for him or her.

Sleep: All the time.

Best moment this week: Not much interesting happening right now, truthfully.  Going back to the doctor in one week.

Movement: Not yet.

Gender: I think it's a girl; Alan thinks it's a boy (he bet me a coke he's right).  We find out on December 6!

Labor Signs: None ... thank goodness.

Belly Button in or out? In.

Cravings: None.  Although the other day, while collecting on another coke bet with Alan, I was moved to get a root beer, which I haven't had in years.  It was delicious.

What I miss: Energy.

Weekly Wisdom: It's all in God's hands.

Milestones:  We're through the first trimester and we're telling people!  It was definitely difficult to keep it a secret from everyone, but that was probably for the best.

2 comments:

  1. Love the pregnancy update :)

    I put up a new pic of Wesley in his Halloween costume on my blog today, you'll have to go check it out when you get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AHHH! You finally started a blog. You'll be addicted and your husband will hate it!! haha, I added you to my list!

    ReplyDelete