Thursday, November 4, 2010

Clyde the Cat is Not Impressed by Your Shenanigans


What?
This is Clyde C. Tanner Ward, the family cat (the "C" stands for "Cat").  Alan got Clyde for me as a Valentine's Day present back in 2003.  I had always wanted a cat because I had never had one growing up due to my mother's allergies.  So Alan took me to the pound, which was sssssooooooo very sad, to pick out a cat.  There were no kittens, and I recall there being about 15 cats or so, one of which was Clyde.  Right underneath Clyde's kennel was a long-haired black female cat that kind of caught my eye (also, the pound had named her "Eliza" and my love for My Fair Lady (and, truly, all musical theatre) kind of influenced me).  I pointed her out to Alan, who agreed that she was pretty and looked sweet but then said, "What about this guy?" in reference to Clyde.  At that moment (honest to blog, true story), Clyde reached his paw through the wires in the kennel and grabbed the bill on Alan's hat.  Obviously, it was a done deal, and Clyde went home with me about a week later, after the pound had checked my references and neutered and vaccinated him.  Since then, Clyde has been part of the family, and is a source of great amusement around our house (if you ask Alan, he'll tell you that Clyde is the source of great frustration around our house, at least to him ... secretly, though, Alan likes for Clyde to sit on his lap in the winter time.  And, really, I defy you to find somebody whose heart isn't warmed by a snuggly cat sleeping on their lap.).  Alan is also the person that named Clyde, stating that Clyde just seemed like a good name for a cat (and, in retrospect, he was obviously correct and I can't imagine Clyde being named anything but Clyde, especially when I think about the names I was considering, like Sebastian ... Sebastian!  What was I thinking?  This cat is no Sebastian.).

Clyde gets along okay with the two spoiled labradors.  They have learned to co-exist.  Clyde's cat facial expressions each time we brought home a new puppy were pretty priceless.  He was definitely not impressed by our labrador-buying shenanigans.  Augie and Layla, of course, love Clyde and wish he would play with them more ... I think they think he is an extremely complex and life-like stuffed animal.

Feeling MUCH better today.  Managed to finish the last Hunger Games book (verdict:  well written, but huge bummer of a book and the ending seemed rushed, so:  meh) and pull off my wish from yesterday and got an early dinner and bedtime (8:00!) last night, so I feel very fresh and rested today.  Also, decided to wear my glasses so I'm feeling extra smart.  I'm considering wearing glasses tomorrow since I have a hearing on a motion for summary judgment, and looking smart couldn't hurt, right?  It also helps me look a little bit older, which is a plus sometimes in the practice of law; you would not believe how many people (most likely meaning it as a compliment, which I can accept to a certain degree) tell me all of the time that I look too young/too pretty/too sweet to be an attorney.  Most anything in court makes me nervous:  I'm more of a paperwork/negotiate with others kind of attorney than a litigator, but sometimes you end up with cases that are headed to trial no matter what ... I try to avoid those, but it's not possible to avoid them all entirely.

Clyde, however, is not impressed by my lawyer shenanigans.  In Clyde's world, I'm just the lady that brings him his tuna.

1 comment:

  1. Glad you are feeling better!! I miss Clyde kitty :( We will have to come visit on our next trip to LR - maybe over the Thanksgiving holiday!

    ReplyDelete